The Liver Transplant Team at UNC
Our liver transplant team includes attending surgeons, dedicated transplant hepatologists (liver specialists), nurse practitioners, physicians’ assistants, transplant nurse coordinators, social workers, psychologists, dieticians, financial coordinators, and dedicated inpatient and outpatient pharmacists.
In addition, the transplant team also works closely with a vast array of sub-specialists in other areas of medicine, including oncology, vascular interventional radiology, and infectious disease.
The core surgical team for liver transplants includes board-certified abdominal transplant surgeons with special training from fellowship programs approved by the American Society of Transplant Surgeons. The surgical team works hand-in-hand with board-certified hepatologists, each with an average of 10 years of experience.
Members of the liver transplant team include:
- A. Sid Barritt, MD, Transplant Hepatologist
- Ramon Bataller, MD, Transplant Hepatologist
- Jama Darling, MD, Transplant Hepatologist
- Ninad Deshmukh, MD, Abdominal Transplant Surgeon
- Michael Fried, MD, Transplant Hepatologist
- David Gerber, MD, Surgical Director of Liver Transplant
- Paul "Skip" Hayashi, MD, Medical Director of Liver Transplant
- Tomasz Kozlowski, MD, Abdominal Transplant Surgeon
- Alexander Toledo, MD, Abdominal Transplant Surgeon
- Robert Watson, MD, Abdominal Transplant Surgeon
- Steve Zacks, MD, Transplant Hepatologist
- Marci Marroquin Loiselle, Ph.D., Clinical Psychologist
- Jennifer C. Deyo, PharmD, Clinical Specialist
- Ruth-Ann M. Lee, PharmD, Clinical Assistant Professor
Transplant coordinators at UNC all have broad experience helping patients and their families prepare for the challenges ahead.
- Family Care & Pediatrics
- UNC School of Medicine Division of Abdominal Transplant
- UNC Liver Program
- Find a Doctor